San Diego Gas & Electric
SAN DIEGO, Oct. 23, 2006 - San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) has signed contracts totaling $42.9 million that expand opportunities for its residential and business customers to save money and help the environment through energy efficiency.
The new programs are administered under contracts awarded by SDG&E through a competitive bidding process. The contracts provide funding through 2008 for the following innovative energy-efficiency programs:
• Advanced Home Renovations Program: Conducts an "Extreme Energy Makeover" of an older home that will help educate customers on energy impacts of cost-effective renovations.
• San Diego Energy-Efficiency Education Program (E3): Provides an energy- efficiency education program for all schools within the SDG&E service territory.
• Time-of-Sale Energy-Efficiency Check-up: Educates realtors on the benefits of an energy-efficient home and trains home inspectors to perform the energy audit at the time of sale.
• Appliance Recycling: Makes available rebates to customers who recycle inefficient refrigerators, freezers and room air conditioners.
• Mobile Home Program: Provides a comprehensive set of energy-efficient measures to customers in manufactured and mobile homes.
• Business Energy Assessment Program: Offers business customers an interactive, online assessment to develop practical energy-efficiency recommendations.
• Industrial Energy-Efficiency Acceleration Program: Increases efficient use of large commercial and industrial customers by driving continuous improvement in energy efficiency.
• Sweetwater Schools Demonstration Program: Showcases and demonstrates innovative indirect/direct evaporative cooling systems and lighting systems.
• California Preschool Energy-Efficiency Program: Provides technical audits and implementation of comprehensive lighting, heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration retrofits at preschools.
• Domestic Hot Water Control Program: Offers the installation of monitored hot- water controls to hotels and motels.
• Mobile Energy Clinic Program: Focuses on improving energy efficiency for small-business customers by providing diagnostics and
• RCx Retrocommissioning Program: Recruits large customers to identify operational improvements, achieve energy savings and improve occupant comfort.
• Laundry Coin-Op Program: Offers an install/rebate program to replace inefficient gas and electric coin-operated washers in Laundromats, as well as offer hot- and cold-water pipe wrap, lighting and other measures.
• VeSM Advantage Plus: Provides energy-efficiency measures for large and mid-sized manufacturing companies through the improvement of production processes.
• HVAC Training, Installation and Maintenance: Provides training and incentives for contractors to install energy-efficiency HVAC units in grocery stores, restaurants, large single-story and small retail businesses, and homes.
• SUREFAST Program: Deploys, tests and commercializes the SUREFAST energy management system to monitor energy usage and conserve energy.
• Upstream HVAC/Motors Program: Increases the supply and stocking of HVAC units and motors for residential customers by providing incentives to manufacturers and distributors and suppliers.
• CHEERS New Construction Advanced Rating Program: Enhances the state-approved Title 24 compliance software to accurately demonstrate energy savings in SDG&E’s new construction programs.
• "We want everyone to reap the benefits of energy efficiency, and our new energy-efficiency contracts will help our campaign reach a broader range of customers," said Mark Gaines, SDG&E’s director of customer programs.
SDG&E’s energy-efficiency campaign has a three-year goal of saving about 121.1 million kilowatt hours equivalent to the energy consumed by 242,2000 residential customers for one month or 20,183 residential customers for one year.
For a description of SDG&E’s energy-efficiency programs, visit sdge.com/thirdparty or contact SDG&E’s Energy Information Center at (800) 644-6133.
San Diego Gas & Electric is a regulated public utility that provides safe and reliable energy service to 3.4 million consumers through 1.3 million electric meters and more than 825,000 natural gas meters. Exceptional customer service is a priority of SDG&E as it seeks to enhance the region’s quality of life. SDG&E is a regulated subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE). Sempra Energy, based in San Diego, is a Fortune 500 energy services holding company. To learn more, go to www.sdge.com.